Not all foods are created equal. Obviously. Here are 10 superfoods that you need to be incorporating into your diet yesterday.
1. Organic Eggs
- A pure source of protein
- Omega-3 fatty acids (yolk only)
- Packed with vitamins (e.g. Vitamin. B, E, and D)
- Biotin (great for hair, skin, and nails)
- Also contain potassium, choline, and folic acid
It’s important to clarify what we mean by organic eggs. Organic eggs are those laid by a hen who is fed organic feed, must have access to the outdoors, and cannot be raised in cages. Remember to do your research and make sure you’re buying the real deal.
- Huge amount of vitamin-A (helps with immunity)
- Super antioxidant food
- Contains flavonoids (anti-cancer properties)
- High iron content
Spinach isn’t just for Popeye. You too can reap the benefits of this superfood. It won’t inflate your biceps to the size of balloons, but the benefits we listed above are a solid consolation prize.
3. Chia Seeds
- High level of omega-3 fatty acids
- Excellent source of fiber (10g in only 2tbsp)
- Rich in antioxidants
- Regulate insulin levels
- Gluten free (if you care about that sort of thing)
In addition to the benefits listed above, the fiber in chia seeds absorbs a large amount of water and expand inside your stomach. So don’t be fooled by how small these little guys seem at first. As soon as they hit your gut those suckers are going to expand in no time and increase your feeling of fullness. This has the potential to help keep your appetite in check.
As an aside, chia seeds have also shown to be hugely useful for people struggling with type 2 diabetes. In these individuals adding chia seeds to their diet led to decrease in blood pressure and inflammation.
4. 100% Grass-Fed Buffalo Meat
- Extremely lean source of protein (even lower calories, fat, and cholesterol than most fish and chicken)
- Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids
- High Iron content
- Contains all of the essential amino acids making it a complete protein
- Gluten free, complex-carbohydrate source (quinoa is actually a seed, not a grain)
- High level of manganese (antioxidant)
- High level of magnesium
- High in fiber
6. Salmon (Alaskan Wild Caught)
- High in Omega-3 fatty acids
- High quality protein source
- Contains selenium (helps with thyroid function)
Be careful with this one. A disturbing amount of salmon out there marketed as wild-caught if actually secretly farm raised. A report from the conservation group Oceana took samples of salmon labelled as “wild” from restaurants and grocery stores in Chicago, New York, Washington (DC), and Virginia. A whopping 43%, was mislabeled, and 69% of that mislabeling was farmed Atlantic salmon being sold as wild.
Why should you care about this you may ask? Well for one wild salmon tends to be leaner, containing 32% fewer calories and half the fat than farm raised on average. Makes sense considering all that swimming wild salmon do. They also contain greater levels of calcium, iron, and potassium. Plus they contain less sodium. Trust us, it’s not the end of the world if you go with farm raised, but it makes a difference.
7. Black Rice
- Contains the same antioxidants that are found in blueberries without the sugar
- Contains almost double the amount of fiber compared to brown rice
- Helps lower cholesterol
- Gluten free, complex-carbohydrate source
Ever wonder why black rice looks the way it does? Most rice grains contain an outer layer of bran. The white rice you see most commonly has had that outer layer removed, while black and brown rice hasn’t. That extra layer gets its color from the antioxidant anthocyanins. That’s the same compound that gives blueberries and goji berries their distinctive hue. However, be warned. Black rice doesn’t come as cheaply as the white rice we’re all used to. There is a reason it was once only reserved for emperors you know.
- Loaded with antioxidants
- Contains almost 4g of Fiber in just 1c!
- High content of Vitamin K (helps reduce inflammation)
- Tons of studies linking consumption of cauliflower (and other cruciferous veggies) to cancer prevention
Okay, okay, we know this one is a bit of a cop-out. But you wouldn’t believe how many guy out there don’t remember to hydrate. The benefits of drinking water are endless and all you need to do turn on the damn faucet or take a stroll to your office watercooler. It couldn’t be easier.
If you want to add a little something extra to your routine to help with those extra pounds you can also consider using a high quality fat burner in addition to the superfoods listed above. They don’t call them burners for nothing, these bad boys induce thermogenesis in the body to raise your metabolic rate and burn way more calories than you would naturally. And if you can’t help but snack a little too much, fear not. Most high quality burners should also contain a highly scientific fibrous complex that stops the body from craving those high calorie foods and cheat meals. Click here to check out our dedicated fat burners page.
10. Raw Mixed Nuts (Soaked/Sprouted)
- All-in-one food (protein, fat, and carbs)
- Vitamin E (helps lower cardiovascular risk)
- Omega-3 fatty acids (especially in walnuts)
- Rich in L-Arginine (may help improve blood vessel function)
- High in fiber
The process of soaking buts is relatively simple. First, grab a bowl and empty whatever serving of nuts you’d like and mix in some warm water with sea salt. Remember to make sure there’s enough water in the bowl to totally cover the nuts. Second, let sit for roughly seven hours overnight and then drain and thoroughly rinse the nuts. Finally, throw the nuts in the fridge and snack on them as desired (remember to consume within 24 hours). Some benefits of soaking nuts include:
- Breaks down gluten
- Phytic acid is reduced
- Eases digestion
- Tannins are removed
- Vitamin absorption increases
Recommended For You5 EXTREME Muscle Growth Hacks (that work)Finally! Start building muscle like the pro bodybuilders using these tricks:Learn more
5 EXTREME Fat Loss Hacks (get ripped fast)Now you can get ripped abs and shredded arms in 30 days:Learn more
Best Testosterone Boosters (top 5 that ACTUALLY work)After spending three months researching the market this is what actually works:Learn more
Top 5 Pre-Workout SupplementsThese give you raw POWER and supercharged energy:Learn more